Wee Kirk o’ the Heather, 231 Las Vegas Blvd S. (1940-2020)
This was an adobe home built in the mid 20s. Mrs. J Edwards Webb began performing wedding ceremonies in her front room, and in the early 40s it became known as Webb’s Wedding Chapel and Wee Kirk o’ the Heather.
The earliest reference we can find to “Wee Kirk” is a listing in the RJ, 5/5/41. The name might come from the popular Wee Kirk o’ the Heather in Glendale CA, built in the 20s as a replica of a 17th century church in Scotland.
Wee Kirk was modified in the 50s: a steeple was added to the top of the building and the front room was enlarged. (Nearby Graceland Chapel aka Gretna Green also started as a home, was converted into a chapel in the same era as Wee Kirk with similar modifications made in the 50s.) The original sign was remade with neon in the mid 40s and replaced in the 70s/80s. Wee Kirk closed during the 2020 pandemic and was demolished 10/3/2020.
Photos: c. ‘40-‘43 Manis Collection UNLV Special Collections; 1940s (postcard?) from Roadsidepictures; 1940s postcard; c. 1960s postcard; 1984 photo & source info by Jane Kowalewski.