New classes, events and announcements
• Temple Sinai virtual BINGO: 7:30 p.m. Saturday. Zoom opens at 7:15 p.m.; BINGO commences at 7:35 p.m. sharp! Register at templesinai-sarasota.org and indicate the number of cards. Your host, Chester Perlinski (Pearl), will send you the link to download your BINGO cards and instructions. Per Florida statute, you must be 18 years old to play. Any questions, contact Pearl at [email protected]
• The Craguns: 10:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. Sunday at Colonial Oaks Baptist Church. The Craguns, a dynamic family group, have been honored to perform to millions in large venues including the National Quartet Convention, Blue Gate Theater, Silver Dollar City and on Daystar Television. A love offering will be taken at each performance.
• Music at Temple Emanu-El: 7 p.m. Thursday. Temple Emanu-El’s Israel Committee invites you to a special evening of music and videos spotlighting talented popular singer Bat Ella and the classic Israeli singer Naomi Shemer. Come together via Zoom to listen to inspiring Israeli music and celebrate the best of Israeli art and culture. Please register for this free event at sarasotatemple.org.
Continuing classes and events
• Temple Sinai ReJEWvenate: Free series continues at 7 p.m. Tuesdays, with a new program every week celebrating Jewish culture. This week the topic is “Introduction to Feminist Methodology: Critique & Study of Texts” presented by Dr. Rabbi Elyse Goldstein, skilled teacher, author and social justice advocate. Dr. Goldstein broke the “stained glass ceiling” upon her arrival in Toronto in 1983, as the only female Rabbi in all of Canada. Register at templesinai-sarasota.org.
• Church of St. Margaret of Scotland’s Lenten reflection class, “Living Well Through Lent”: 9 a.m. Sunday, with a study/discussion, “The Last Seven Words of Christ,” at 5 p.m. Wednesday. 8700 Clark Road, Sarasota; 941-925-2525
• Temple Sinai presents The Twelve Minor Prophets at 3 p.m. Tuesday. This program focuses on a major section of the Tanach (Hebrew Bible) Navi’im, Prophets. Facilitated by Reb Ari Shapiro, this series will study the teachings and intent of some of the lesser-known prophets and, when applicable, ascertain why the Sages chose to emphasize various sections. For Zoom information: templesinai-sarasota.org
Ongoing worship and more
• Church of the Redeemer invites all to participate in Sunday Masses at 9 a.m., and again at 1 p.m. in Spanish, via its website, YouTube and Facebook Live. Also offered are weekday Morning Prayer, 10 a.m., and Evening Prayer, 5:15 p.m. Morning Prayer is offered in Spanish, M-F, at 9 a.m., and Evening Prayer and the Rosary are offered in Spanish, M-F, at 8 p.m. Facebook Live Formation offerings continue weekdays at 6:30 p.m. For more information, contact the parish office, 941-955-4263. 222 S. Palm Ave., Sarasota, 34236, redeemersarasota.org.
• Church of St. Margaret of Scotland Episcopal has regular worship Sunday services at 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. Adult Sunday School at 9 a.m. – Lenten Reflection is Living Well through Lent. View online worship at 10 AM at stmargaretsarasota.com. Worship on Wednesdays at 5 p.m., after service is the Study/Discussion on Seven Words, Listening to Christ from the Cross by Susan Robb. Every third Sunday is our Celtic service celebration. All are welcome as Christ welcomes us all! Address: 8700 Clark Road 941-925-2525
• Englewood United Methodist Church invites all to participate in Sunday worship services at 7:30 a.m. (traditional), 9 a.m. (contemporary) or 11 a.m. (traditional) in person or via livestreaming at englewoodumc.net. Call 941-474-5588 for pastoral care needs.
• Join us at First Church (104 S. Pineapple Ave., Sarasota) on Sundays for in-person worship at 11 a.m. Reservations are needed by noon Friday – call or email (941-955-0935; [email protected]). Online worship will continue – firstsrq.com/watch-now/ OR facebook.com/fumcsarasota
• First Congregational United Church of Christ Sarasota: Worship with us online each Sunday at 11 a.m. and Thursdays 1 p.m. via our Facebook page: facebook.com/uccsarasota. You may view past worship services on our website: uccsarasota.com.
• First Presbyterian Church, 2050 Oak St., offers online Sunday morning worship services, available beginning at 7 a.m.: firstpressarasota.org/worship/worship-live. Virtual classes via Zoom are offered for pre-K through adults. Contact the church at 941-955-8119 for details.
• First United Methodist Church, 104 S. Pineapple Ave. in downtown Sarasota, is open for in-person worship, Sunday at 11 a.m. Online worship will also continue. The recorded Sunday traditional service is posted on Facebook at 8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m.; contemporary service is posted at 9:45 a.m. Both can be viewed on facebook.com/fumc-sarasota or firstsrq.com/watch-live. Questions? Call 941-955-0935.
• Grace Church 941 invites all to our outdoor worship service Sunday morning at 8:30 a.m. Bring a chair, masks required, temperature checks at entry, social distancing. Or online at 9:41 a.m. at Facebook.com/SarasotaGrace or YouTube (search for Grace Church 941). We offer small groups and worship during the week; details can be found at egracechurch.com/sarasotaomg or posted daily on our Facebook page. For more information, please call the office at 941-966-3306. 8521 Vamo Road, Sarasota.
• All are invited to join the Gulf Cove United Methodist Church’s livestreaming worship service online on Sundays at 10 a.m. Just go to the church’s website, GulfCoveChurch.com, and click on the Worship Online button on the left side of its homepage. If you can’t make it live to the 10 a.m. service, you can watch it anytime. 941-697-1747
• Crafty Ladies of GCUMC have their hand-crafted items available for purchase every Thursday morning (except holidays) from 9-11:30 a.m. at Oak’s Cove, the building behind the church. You can also call MaryEllen at 941-697-6384 to schedule an appointment. Masks and social distancing are required. 1100 S. McCall Road (S.R. 776), Port Charlotte; [email protected]; GulfCoveChurch.com
• The Living Lord Lutheran Church now has two weekly in-person Sunday services. At 9 a.m., the worship has a blend of contemporary and traditional music. A traditional service is featured at 11 a.m. Everyone is welcome, social distancing seating and a mask must be worn. Communion is offered at each service. The 9 a.m. service is available via livestreaming at facebook.com/livinglordlutheranchurch. 11107 Palmbrush Trail, Lakewood Ranch; 941-753-9365
• Pine Shores Presbyterian Church invites all to join either one or both of our two Sunday online worship services. For the 8 a.m. Contemplative Worship, visit: facebook.com/PeaceRiverSpiritualityCenter. For the 9:45 a.m. Traditional Service, visit pineshorespres.org, and under Events & Ministries, click on 9:45 am Sunday Worship. For more information, contact the church office at 941-922-1597. 6135 Beechwood Ave., Sarasota.
• St. Boniface Episcopal Church, Siesta Key, offers 10 a.m. livestreaming Sunday worship on its website and Morning and Evening Prayer on Facebook Live at 9:30 a.m and 5 p.m. (facebook.com/BonifaceChurch). Sunday morning online educational classes begin at 9 a.m. Fr. Jeffrey Hamblin leads the Bible study and Vince Brennan leads the book discussion. Call the church office for details and instructions for joining. Fr. Michael Piovane leads two contemplative prayer sessions via Zoom at 10:30 a.m. on the first and third Wednesday of each month. Contact the church office or consult the website for the link to participate. While the church building is closed, the courtyard chapel and labyrinth are open for prayer and meditation. 5615 Midnight Pass Road, Siesta Key. Clergy are available for prayers, counseling, “frontyard fellowship” and “curbside communion” visits: 941-349-5616; bonifacechurch.org.
• Other events: Men of Boniface (the “MOB”) meet each Friday at 8 a.m. via Zoom. Participation details are in the St. Boniface newsletter at bonifacechurch.org or call the church office 941-349-5616. The Friends of Music of St. Boniface invite you to a weekly “Quarantina Concert” at 7:30 p.m. each Wednesday. These livestream performances provide a stage, voice and audience for members of our Sarasota music community. Join live and watch previous performances at Bonifacechurch.org/music or facebook.com/Bonifacechurchmusic.
• St. Jude Catholic Church invites the Spanish Speaking community to Sunday Mass, 8 a.m. on Número 1, FM 99.1, and 10 a.m. on La Zeta, 103.5. Father Celestino Gutiérrez, along with the St. Jude Choir, celebrates this holy Mass each week. For more information, contact the church office at 941-955-3934, 3930 17th St., Sarasota.
• St. Paul Lutheran Church offers worship each Sunday on Facebook Live streaming at 9:30 a.m. and Zoom Story and Study on Wednesdays at 7 p.m. Study from the comfort and safety of your home. Call church for Zoom invite info: 941-955-6479. StPaulSarasota.org; 2256 Bahia Vista St., Sarasota.
• Temple Beth El Bradenton/Lakewood Ranch invites the community to observe Erev Shabbat services every Friday night on YouTube. Go to our website at templebethelbradenton.org each Friday after 6 p.m. to click on the link for a beautiful service led by Rabbi Michael Sternfield and Cantor Deborah Bard. Our website will also have the information to join Temple Beth El virtually for other religious events and services.
• Temple Beth Israel of Longboat Key invites you to Shabbat services, virtually! Join Rabbi Stephen Sniderman for uplifting worship, Fridays at 7 p.m. and Saturdays at 10 a.m. Available on our YouTube channel and facebook.com/stephen.sniderman. Visit tbi-lbk.org for more information.
• Temple Beth Sholom offers inclusive, uplifting, and engaging virtual Shabbat services every week via Zoom meeting ID# 292 606 9224! Services are available Friday at 6:30 p.m. & Saturday at 10:00 a.m. Daily Minyan is also available via Zoom (Meeting ID# 292 606 9224) for those who would like to worship or say Kaddish for a loved one. Services are available daily from 8-9 a.m. Check templebethsholomfl.org/events for more information or contact the office at 941-955-1821 or [email protected]
• Temple Beth Sholom’s ongoing educational programs include: Swimming in the Sea of Talmud, 11 a.m-noon Tuesdays (Zoom ID #96325451665), a discussion of Talmudic teachings open to all; and Gutsy Torah, 11 a.m.-noon Wednesdays (Zoom #96074542663), a discussion of the week’s Torah portion. Rabbi Howard Siegel leads both. Visit templebethsholomfl.org for more info and Zoom passwords.
• Temple Beth Sholom offers delicious fully Kosher Shabbat dinners for pick-up! Each meal is only $18 and comes with challah, sides, and dessert. Orders must generally be placed by 4 p.m. on Tuesday, but meals often sell out. Some delivery available upon request. Call 941-955-8121 with any questions. Menus and online ordering can be found at templebethsholomfl.org/events
• Temple Emanu-El warmly invites the community to celebrate Shabbat with five special online experiences. Every Friday night, Rabbis Brenner and Elaine Glickman and Associate Rabbi Michael Shefrin lead family Shabbat services at 6 p.m. and traditional Shabbat services at 7:15 p.m. Saturday mornings at 10 a.m. are Tot Shabbat for young Jewish and interfaith families; Torah study at 11 a.m., and Havdalah at 8:30 p.m. Services are available via livestream at sarasotatemple.org. All are welcome. For more information, please call 941-371-2788.
• Temple Sinai Rabbi Samantha Kahn and Chazzan Cliff Abramson host an uplifting Erev Shabbat service at 6 p.m. Fridays. Join via Facebook Live at facebook.com/templesinaisarasota or watch on Temple Sinai’s YouTube page. Join the community for a virtual welcome reception at 5:15 p.m. Fridays before the service via Zoom (zoom.us/j/672757469). Other weekly worship opportunities include: Shabbat Morning Service & Torah Study at 10:30 a.m. Saturdays via Zoom (zoom.us/j/322550036) and streamed on Temple Sinai’s Facebook page: facebook.com/templesinaisarasota; and Word by Word Weekly Torah Portion at 9:15 a.m. Thursdays. For more information and opportunities to gather in virtual fellowship, visit temple sinai-sarasota.org.
• Temple Sinai offers a variety of weekly meetings, classes and workshops via Zoom, including: Introduction to High Holiday Liturgy and its Music with Chazzan Cliff Abramson at 11 a.m. Tuesdays; Clergy Coffee Talk with Rabbi Samantha Kahn and Chazzan Abramson at 1:30 p.m. Tuesdays; The Maturing Voice with Chazzan Abramson at 11 a.m. Wednesdays; and Jewish Music History Class with Chazzan Abramson at 10 a.m. Thursdays. Office, 941-924-1802, [email protected] For Zoom information: templesinai-sarasota.org.
• Trinity UMC, 4150 S. Shade Ave., Sundays at 9 a.m. (contemporary) outdoors in shade and 10:30 (traditional) in sanctuary. 941-924-7756; iTrinity.org; search for “Trinity UMC Sarasota FL” on Facebook and YouTube.
• Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Venice, 1971 Pinebrook Road, Venice. Recorded Sunday services can be viewed at uucov.org 941-485-2105.
• Unity of Sarasota offers a half-hour meditation service at 9 a.m. Sundays, outdoors at the labyrinth with the Rev. Dr. Suzi. Bring a chair and a mask; social distancing in effect. Weather permitting. 3023 Proctor Road; 941-955-3301. Follow the driveway, the labyrinth is behind the church.
Adding your item
To submit your news or worship time, go to heraldtribune.com/submit and click on Submit Community News. All items must include the street address and telephone number; the deadline is 5 p.m. Tuesdays for publication on Saturday.