When the Philadelphia Eagles were up 14-3 against the Dallas Cowboys it looked like they would enter the final week of the season battling for a playoff spot. Then they were outscored 34-3 the rest of the way as the Cowboys romped to a 37-17 win.
In the span of a few hours, the Eagles were eliminated from playoff contention, in last place of the dreadful NFC East, and facing an offseason of major decisions.
Philadelphia hosts Washington in Week 17. Washington controls their playoff destiny and can clinch the NFC East title with a win. They are also facing their share of controversy. With quarterback Alex Smith sidelined, Dwayne Haskins got the start against the Carolina Panthers and was benched after two interceptions. On Monday, Washington released Haskins.
Pennsylvania online sportsbooks opened with the Eagles as one-point underdogs with the total points line at 42.5.
Eagles vs. Cowboys Week 16 betting splits
Pennsylvania betting apps had the Eagles as three-point favorites vs. the Cowboys with the total points line set at 49.5. By Sunday afternoon, the Eagles were 3-point favorites.
Betting splits from FanDuel for Eagles vs. Cowboys:
- 75% of the money was on the Eagles (-3) to cover the spread
- 72% of the money was on the Eagles (-172) moneyline
- 72% of the money was on the OVER (50.5)
- 41% of the money was on the Cowboys (+3.5) to cover the spread
- 39% of the money was on the Cowboys (+150) moneyline
- 79% of the money was on the OVER (50.5)
Washington vs. Philadelphia Eagles odds
|Washington Football Team||-1.5 (-108)||-125||O 42.5 (-113)|
|Philadelphia Eagles||+1.5 (-113)||+102||U 42.5 (-108)|
Washington vs. Eagles Week 17 betting preview
The Eagles secondary was torched again as Andy Dalton threw for 377 yards and 3 TDs. The Cowboys exposed the Birds’ fatal flaws – a depleted secondary, lack of offensive weapons, and questionable play calling. There were a self-inflicted wounds, too. The Eagles also committed 12 penalties for 115 yards, including six false starts.
The Birds were up 14-3 but when defensive lineman Fletcher Cox left the game with a stinger. The Cowboys capitalized. They put up 503 total yards of offense picking apart Philadelphia’s secondary, especially Michael Jacquet. The Eagles’ defense has given up 1,039 yards in their last two games.
Making his third start, rookie quarterback Jalen Hurts came back to earth after sparking a stalled offense. He had two interceptions and two fumbles (one lost). The Eagles have a long list of issues to resolve in the offseason including:
- Who starts at quarterback in 2021? Wentz or Hurts?
- Will Howie Roseman be fired? Ditto for Doug Pederson.
- The Eagles have an awful salary cap situation for 2021. How much can they improve an aging offensive line and a suspect secondary in the offseason?
- What will the Eagles do with their first draft pick? Currently, they hold the sixth pick.
- What happened in three years? The team won the Super Bowl in 2017.
Washington’s list of issues also long
Washington is facing their own issues. Dwayne Haskins was photographed maskless at his girlfriend’s birthday party with strippers, on Dec. 20 after Washington lost to Seattle. It marked the second time he breached COVID-19 protocols and Washington fined him $40,000 and stripped him of his captaincy.
Against the Carolina Panthers in Week 16, he started in place of an injured Alex Smith. Haskins threw two interceptions and fumbled once. He was benched in the fourth quarter in favor of Taylor Heinicke. On Monday, Washington waived Haskins, who they selected with the 15th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.
Washington vs. Philadelphia Eagles betting stats and info from DraftKings
- The Eagles are 5-10 ATS; Washington is 5-9-1 ATS.
- Seven of the Eagles’ 15 games have hit the over; five for Washington.
- The Eagles have a 47% implied win probability.
- Four of Washington’s last five games have gone UNDER.
- Washington allows 21 ppg, the Eagles 26.5 ppg.
Week 17 promos at PA sportsbook apps
- Risk-free $1,000 bet for new users: New users at FanDuel can get up to a $1,000 free bet. Register, make a deposit, and place a wager on the FanDuel sportsbook app. Then, if the first wager loses, FanDuel will refund losses in the form of a free bet up to $1,000.
BetRivers Free NFL Profit Boost every week:
- Risk-free $500 bet: Place your first bet, and if it loses, the Fox Bet sportsbook app will match it as a free bet up to $500.
- $1 bet pays $50: New users only. $1 bet pays $50 in free bets if the Eagles (or Steelers) score.
- Beat the Spread Bonus: $1 bonus for every point your team beats the spread by.
- Pigskin Parlay: Instant 50% cash boost when creating an eight-team parlay.
Complete Week 17 NFL Odds at PA Sportsbooks
Lead image credit: AP Photo/Ron Jenkins