The Pittsburgh Steelers continue to make history in 2020.
They are off to a franchise-best 10-0 start. Only 16 other teams in the Super Bowl era have opened the season by winning their first 10 games.
Now, one of the league’s oldest and most storied franchises has its first gaming partner. On Nov. 24, the Steelers announced a partnership with sports betting and iGaming operator BetMGM.
Steelers team up with BetMGM
BetMGM is readying for its arrival in Pennsylvania by pairing up with a franchise with a huge fan base and excellent brand recognition.
What does the Steelers and BetMGM partnership include?
- Presenting Sponsor of the Steelers Kickoff pregame show, which will be titled Steelers Kickoff Presented by BetMGM.
- In-stadium promotions and signage.
- BetMGM will have full use of Steelers marks and logos in communications across marketing, product, social media and digital properties.
- “Decade of Black & Gold” sweepstakes where one grand prize winner at the end of the season will receive two club level season tickets and two VIP Hospitality Tent Passes for 10 years. In addition, weekly prizes will be awarded with other entrants winning signed Steelers merchandise. The contest will run throughout the entirety of the NFL season.
- Gameday media and weekly media including radio spots within Steelers programming such as The Point After, Players Show, Preview Show and In the Locker Room Show with Tunch & Wolf (ESPN Pittsburgh).
- TV commercial spot to run during the Mike Tomlin Weekly Press Conference on Tuesdays, Steelers Weekly on Saturdays, and Mike Tomlin Show on Saturdays.
Ryan Huzjak, Vice President of Sales and Marketing, commented:
“We are excited to introduce BetMGM to Steelers Nation. Not only will BetMGM be elevating some of our existing platforms, but they will be introducing new and exciting opportunities to Steelers fans. We are looking forward to kicking off this partnership.”
BetMGM sportsbook in PA
Another key point of the partnership is that BetMGM will be the official sports betting partner of the Steelers once their online sports betting product arrives. Sources say that the BetMGM could launch in Pennsylvania as early as next week.
Matt Prevost, Chief Revenue Officer, BetMGM said:
“Steelers Nation is one of the most passionate fan bases in professional sports and we’re thrilled to bring the excitement of BetMGM to Steelers fans. We’re eager to launch BetMGM’s gaming offering in Pennsylvania and I can’t think of a better way to kick off our entry into the state than through this monumental partnership.”
NFL sports betting partnerships
The Steelers are the lone undefeated in the NFL after 11 weeks. However, compared to the state’s other NFL team, the Philadelphia Eagles, they are lagging behind in terms of joining the sports betting/iGaming partnership party.
In Nov. 2019, Unibet became the Eagles’ official casino partner. During the NFL’s offseason, the NFL amended rules to allow “official sportsbook partner” designations. Unibet and the Eagles took advantage of the ruling and they are now an official sportsbook partner of the Eagles.
They aren’t the operator to hop in the nest with the Eagles:
- DraftKings: Official daily fantasy sports partner and official sports betting partner
- FOX Bet: 4,000-square-foot lounge and production studio at stadium
Penguins have a sports betting partner, too
The Pittsburgh Penguins named Rivers Casino Pittsburgh and BetRivers.com the franchise’s official casino and sportsbook in late September 2020. A high-tech BetRivers sportsbook lounge will open at PPG Paints arena as part of the partnership.
BetMGM’s path to PA
After online gambling was legalized in Pennsylvania in late 2017, not every PA retail casino chose to get licenses. The PGCB then opened up applications to out-of-state companies to operate online casinos in Pennsylvania as qualified gaming entities (QGE).
The Delaware-based BetMGM LLC originally made its application as a QGE in January 2019. Later in October 2019, MGM paid $12 million in order to offer all three online gambling verticals:
Steelers a winner for bettors, too
The Steelers opened the season with +2500 odds to win the Super Bowl and +1300 to win the AFC Championship. Currently, they are listed at +550 to win Super Bowl LV, only the Kansas City Chiefs (+300) have better odds. The Steelers have rocketed to +270 to claim the AFC crown.
Here are the Steelers’ odds to finish 16-0:
- DraftKings: Yes (+520)/No (-770)
- FanDuel: Yes (+700)/No (-1350)
The Steelers are also stellar against the spread with a league-best 8-2 ATS record.