A lawyer for the Seminole Tribe of Florida confirmed Tuesday that the Tribe will cease paying the state millions every month from its  casino gambling income.

The move, which outside counsel Barry Richard hinted at months ago, was reported earlier in the day by the Tallahassee Democrat.

The Tribe not too long ago has paid $19.five million month-to-month, with occasional balloon — or “true-up” — payments it kicked in a total of practically $320.7 million in the final 2017-18 fiscal year, according to state records. To date, the arrangement has been worth more than $two.three billion to state coffers.

The selection to cease paying also occurred to come one particular day after Marcellus Osceola Jr. was re-elected chairman of the Tribe.

A letter was sent to Gov. Ron DeSantis informing him of the Tribe’s selection, Richard told Florida Politics. A request for comment is pending with state officials a copy of the letter is at bottom.

At situation was a guarantee by the state, as a outcome of a now 3-year-old lawsuit more than blackjack, that regulators would “aggressively enforce” the Tribe’s exclusive rights to provide the well-known card game in Florida.

That enforcement “absolutely did not happen,” Richard stated. “Actually the state stopped all enforcement efforts. And as you know, the Session ended with out the Legislature performing something … There was a negotiation that resulted in some agreement in principle among the Tribe (and the Senate) but practically nothing was completed.”

As it has in current years, an work to pass an omnibus gambling bill failed this year. A deal worked by the Senate and led by Trilby Republican and future Senate President Wilton Simpson would have incorporated a renewed income-sharing agreement with the Seminoles, amongst other provisions.

Earlier this year, Richard had said his client would “re-evaluate” no matter whether to continue fantastic faith payments by the finish of the 2019 Legislative Session.

The discord officially started with the lawsuit, stemming from what the Tribe named a breach of a 2010 agreement — formally recognized as the Seminole Compact — that guarantees it exclusivity to provide specific games, specifically blackjack. (Exclusivity basically suggests freedom from competitors.)

Even though the Tribe and the state settled that lawsuit on appeal, permitting them to provide the game till 2030, the Tribe’s continued payments to the state had been contingent on gambling regulators promising “aggressive enforcement” against games that threaten their exclusivity.

In reality, the sides had been in a “forbearance period” that ended final March 31, right after which the Tribe was entitled to cease paying then.

In 2016, a federal judge ruled the Seminoles could continue to provide blackjack at its Tough Rock casinos, regardless of the expiration of a five-year blackjack provision in the overarching gambling deal with the state.

Senior U.S. District Judge Robert Hinkle said the state had broken the blackjack exclusivity guarantee, permitting it to hold its blackjack tables until 2030, the finish of the bigger compact.

That was, in portion, simply because state gambling regulators had OK’d specific sorts of  “designated-player games,” comparable to poker, that played as well a great deal like — if not identically to — blackjack.

Furthermore, the Tribe has continued to go right after other games it believes violate its exclusivity, such as civil lawsuits against slot-machine style pre-reveal games and “electronic gambling parlors” in the Jacksonville region. (The Tribe also has exclusive rights to slot machines outdoors South Florida.)

What takes place subsequent is “the state’s contact,” Richard stated.

“But if the state stops the infringement, then the Tribe is obligated to resume payments,” he added.